WellO2 is a breathing training device that can help the respiratory system recover from respiratory infections. Note that WellO2 is not a medical device or a treatment for any disease.
WellO2 breathing exercises can be beneficial during a respiratory illness or infection. It can even help battling Corona infection.
Training the respiratory muscles strengthens the lungs and improves lung ventilation, which may prevent a possible lung infection from worsening. Warm steam enhances the moisture balance of the airway mucosa, increasing its ability to resist pathogens, and decreases cough irritation.
What is WellO2?
Steam inhalation and resisted breathing are two of the key components of WellO2. When you blow, the exhaled muscles are activated and your airways are opened. As you breathe in, you activate the inhaled muscles and at the same time increase the moisture balance in your upper respiratory system.
Resistance training increases mucus release from the airways. Resistance training helps to strengthen respiratory muscles, such as the upper respiratory muscles, diaphragm, abdominal muscles, and intercostal muscles, to better withstand situations where the respiratory system is having harder times.
WellO2 use during respiratory infections
WellO2 is safe to use in mild respiratory infections. If breathing is difficult, consult your doctor. In the rehabilitation phase of acute lung infections, the use of a WellO2 device can be beneficial.
Breathing training improves breathing, relieves breathing symptoms, and calms breathing rhythms. Calming the breath helps calm the whole body. The practice of breathing training can help the mind focus on the present moment and relieve the anxiety caused by the illness.
WellO2 has a cleaning program that uses hot steam to destroy viruses, bacteria, and microbes that may have entered the device from the user. In the cleaning program, the mouthpieces and other loose parts of the device can also be cleaned inside the device.
How to use WellO2 if you do not have any symptoms of a respiratory infection
WellO2 can be used normally on a daily basis.
- Our mucous membranes' poor condition contributes to pathogens' ability to enter our bodies. A healthy mucous membrane helps to prevent infection or worsening of symptoms of disease. By using the WellO2 device, the moisture balance of the airway mucosa is improved, as is the removal of mucus and associated impurities.
- Regular breathing training with the WellO2 device strengthens the respiratory muscles, opens the bronchi, and increases lung capacity. It helps the body withstand the strain caused by respiratory infections.
- WellO2 helps remove mucus from your lungs. WellO2 raises mucus in the bronchi, and inhaling warm steam makes mucus more fluid.
- WellO2's nasal mask relieve congestion and allow nasal breathing. Through training with a nasal mask, the muscles of the nose and its inner part are activated, thereby reducing congestion in the inner part of the nose. Activating the muscles of the nasal mucosa improves the transmission of moisture, which relieves runny noses and congestion.
How to use WellO2 if you have mild respiratory infection
It is recommended to use a WellO2 device as soon as possible in case you have a mild respiratory infection. During an illness, it is recommended to use the lowest resistance, i.e. 0 resistance.
1. WellO2's nasal mask relieve congestion and allow nasal breathing. Through training with a nasal mask, the muscles of the nose and its inner part are activated, thereby reducing congestion in the inner part of the nose. Activating the muscles of the nasal mucosa improves the transmission of moisture, which relieves runny noses and congestion.
2. Training with the WellO2 device opens the airways and enhances breathing. As a result of breathing exercise, the airways are effectively cleansed of mucus and contaminants. Water steam moistens the airways and relieves congestion. As a result, breathing becomes easier.
3. During illness, exercises that exert a lot of force on the respiratory muscles should be avoided. Set the resistance to zero only.
4. You can use the device's cleansing program after each use if you have a respiratory infection.
How to use WellO2 if you have severe respiratory infection
You should contact your healthcare provider if you have difficulty breathing. If you have difficulty breathing, you should not continue training with the WellO2 device.
Rehabilitation after a respiratory infection
The WellO2 device may be used to support rehabilitation after severe respiratory infection.
It is best to do breathing exercises only at 0 resistance.
In the rehabilitation phase, training should be regular, i.e. multiple times a day (gradually increasing, taking care to avoid excessive exertion) and lasting long enough, i.e. 6-8 weeks.
Training with WellO2 improves breathing and, following a severe illness, can be an alternative e.g. to walking if that seems too exhausting.
When should the WellO2 not be used?
If you have any health conditions that might be affected by using WellO2 please contact your doctor before using the product. Do not use the device if you have pneumothorax, illness or damage to the tympanic membrane or fresh surgery (eye, abdomen or thoracic cavity).
Consult your doctor if you have:
Acute respiratory infection with fever
An unexplained respiratory illness
Aneurysm (arterial bulge)
WellO2 blog post (in Finnish) and post (in English)